Spirit-Chaser Strategy Guide

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Good luck!

5 posters

A "Poll" on "Interests"

Tabitha Oakenfleur
    Tabitha Oakenfleur
    Harvest Witch

A "Poll" on "Interests" Empty A "Poll" on "Interests"

Post  Tabitha Oakenfleur Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:47 am

Well, this isn't entirely off-topic, but it sure isn't on-topic either, so this seems like a good enough spot to stick my little blurb. Also I don't know why I used so many quotes in the title. Because reasons??

Anyway, lately Mr. Tim has been pestering me/us to go make and run a campaign. Now, I'm not committing to anything yet...but what is everyone interested in? I mean this as a dangerously broad question.

What movies do you like? What about TV shows? Which are your favorite bands or songs? What genres do you read? What places of the world call to you? What religions or mythologies? Eras? Any DnD or other fantasy-type races or concepts that you like? What sort of artwork? I'm just sort of rattling things off here. Long story short, I wouldn't know where to start and want some inspiration.

I've had one possibility running around in my head in the form of a story that, in one way or another, has existed since I was practically in 4th grade...but it's changed so much and may be just too vague for me to try to make it work. Cassie and Audra may have caught a whiff of it back in "Zieffar's campaign" back when Tim mentioned the whole thing being related to war with a place called Nilsar (worth noting I think that's been completely wiped from the story at this point). I just don't know that there's much salvageable about my whole Nilsar thing, at least not as a playable campaign, so to speak.

SO ANYWAY. That's why I'm here! Rambling to you! For ideas! Talk at me people!

Last edited by Tabitha Oakenfleur on Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:48 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos typos)
    Dungeon Master Orange
    Dungeon Master Orange
    Admin

A "Poll" on "Interests" Empty Re: A "Poll" on "Interests"

Post  Dungeon Master Orange Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:05 am

So. Here I go. Now I want it clear that though I am listing things I like, it doesn't mean I hate everything else. Yeh.

In terms of themes, I love when stories don't deal with things that are too serious or heavy. I like drama and seriousness, but especially more so when paired with more lighthearted moments. Especially in D&D, when things can turn for the crazy at any given moment. I also kinda like plots that feel one-shot and episodic, but are linked together by greater undertones or storyline; similar to how in Adventure Time, each episode is it's own thing but it's held up by a much larger back story. Of course I also sometimes like mundane things linking games / episodes, but that's just me; like Futurama, how each episode is linked by the fact they are just delivery people. I'm sure you can see these influences in my campaigns. (sometimes)

In terms of settings, I like exploring culture or other regions I have mostly neglected, especially some of D&D's interesting races I haven't used yet or just forget about. Things like the dark-skinned Eladrin (current Donovan and Viviana) that come from my D&D campaign's version of India, Dragonborn (Vladmir and old Donovan) that reside in my version of Russia, or Orcs that come from my version of Spain. If the campaign wasn't in my setting or world, I'd love to see something slightly more modern, like.. depression-era or the 50s, or something sci-fi. I also love seeing change over time occurring in settings.

I usually like settings that start small in scale, than gradually expand out, like entire plots that only reside in a single city. I've always loved detective mysteries (though those kind of plots are tough), or plots that have had multiple layers to them; like the example I gave about Adventure Time. Things that seem vague, but actually are incredibly deep are really fun.

Also, I've always wished I have personally done things that give traps, puzzles and mundane hazards precedent over combat, leaving combat only to important or tough encounters; usually with few, more badass enemies. I somehow always neglect it in practice and love the idea. Finding levers for doors, putting together keys, moving blocks, figuring out passwords, ringing bells in certain orders, just trying to figure out how to cross a chasm, man oh man.

Also I love having a purpose for visiting shops. Why I sometimes shake my fist at the both incredibly useful and pain-in-the-ass character builder market.

Also I got a passion for inventory management but that's.. that's really just weird.

I'm kind of weird.

This may get expanded on as I think of more.

I ALSO LOVE IT WHEN THINGS ARE TOTALLY OVER THE TOP.

Last edited by Dungeon Master Orange on Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:26 am; edited 1 time in total
    Vasani
    Vasani
    Pirate Queen

A "Poll" on "Interests" Empty A "Ramble" on "Interests"

Post  Vasani Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:25 am

I've been trying to come up with something myself, also at the needling of Tim, but have come up with either nothing or too many ideas and no focus. You know most of what I'm interested in, but its just late enough and I'm loopy enough to turn this into a full fledged ramble.

Movies: I like the fast paced suspense of horror and action. The in depth story and setting of things like fantasy and the like. As far as specific titles go... The Crow, Counte of Monte Cristo, Avengers. Lord of the Rings intrigues me as well even though I haven't seen it, just based on how in depth and detailed it is.

TV: I imagine the same qualities as movies apply here. Sons of Anarchy and Game of Thrones are the two major ones for me. Some main points that those two have in common are neither one of them take 'safe' routes with their stories. They can be gritty, funny, offensive, and/or hit you in the feels with no remorse. They're unapologetic and none of their characters are safe.

Music: A large topic. 80s hair rock, alternative, electronic, epic soundtracks from video games or movies. Imagine dragons has some good alternative, monstercat on youtube has a wide variety of electronica/dubstep and the like.

Books: Largely the same as movies and tv. One thing I thought I'd take note of though, considering this will probably be a forum game, is traditional fantasy books tend to put me off with their excessive flowery language. But I have read some of your stuff and like your style, so I imagine you're safe there.

Regions:  I probably won't be too much help here. I like forests and snowy areas, mostly cause I think they're pretty. c: I like dramatic looking landscapes or places where nature has taken over what used to be dominated by mankind. Best places I can think of are The Black Forest of Germany or Highgate Cemetery in London.

Religions: Pantheons. Greek, Roman, Norse. Anything like that as well as just general occult/supernatural stuffs.

Art: Art is hard to describe. Best I can do is link this for my own preferences.
    http://www.pinterest.com/AudRawr/art/

And as odd as I feel recommending it, Pinterest has a lot of stuff you might be able to pull inspiration from. Art, costumes, places, I've even seen a couple writing prompts.

At the moment I don't really have any concrete ideas to throw out there, but feel free to bounce ideas off me.

This turned out way longer than I thought and probably less useful than I had hoped.

OH YEAH. I THOUGHT OF A CATEGORY. VIDEO GAMES: Last of Us, Bioshock, Mass Effect, Dragon Age. Amazing stories, detailed and in depth characters, lore, and world.

A "Poll" on "Interests" Shepardshuffle

Edit because Tim pointed out more useful things actually pertaining to DnD.:

As far as actual storylines or plots go. I, of course, have no problem with silly but having an impacting story is much more important to me. Not to say they are mutually exclusive. I have no problem with things getting heavy or dark, as evidenced by my love of game of thrones above. I like what I'm doing to have meaning. It doesn't have to be a grand scheme to save the world, but.. I dunno. To steal Tim's example, I don't think I'd like having the aimless adventures of a Futurama type game.
    Dungeon Master Orange
    Dungeon Master Orange
    Admin

Post  Dungeon Master Orange Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:37 am

Vasani Shepard wrote:

A "Poll" on "Interests" Shepardshuffle[/color]

As far as actual storylines or plots go. I, of course, have no problem with silly but having an impacting story is much more important to me. Not to say they are mutually exclusive. I have no problem with things getting heavy or dark, as evidenced by my love of game of thrones above. I like what I'm doing to have meaning. It doesn't have to be a grand scheme to save the world, but.. I dunno. To steal Tim's example, I don't think I'd like having the aimless adventures of a Futurama type game.
    Probably why we found common ground eventually with Supernatural. It's pretty dark and crazy but ultimately doesn't take itself too seriously. I like dark and deep, but I like it when it isn't afraid to .. get silly. If that makes sense. Or the opposite, when silly isn't afraid to get serious.

Supernatural and Saints Row, people.
    Vasani
    Vasani
    Pirate Queen

Post  Vasani Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:41 am

Dungeon Master Orange wrote:
    Vasani Shepard wrote:

Probably why we found common ground eventually with Supernatural. It's pretty dark and crazy but ultimately doesn't take itself too seriously. I like dark and deep, but I like it when it isn't afraid to .. get silly. If that makes sense. Or the opposite, when silly isn't afraid to get serious.

Supernatural is super serious. Did we even watch the same show?

A "Poll" on "Interests" Tumblr_m6gs233K761rziwwco1_500
    Dungeon Master Orange
    Dungeon Master Orange
    Admin

Post  Dungeon Master Orange Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:45 am

Vasani Shepard wrote:
    Dungeon Master Orange wrote:
    Vasani Shepard wrote:

Supernatural is super serious. Did we even watch the same show?

A "Poll" on "Interests" Tumblr_m6gs233K761rziwwco1_500
    I'd say the same line of thinking applies to Trueblood, but goddamn that show just got weird.

Like I said at the top of my post, I listed things I liked but am not afraid of other things. Maybe my main point should have been "so long as it isn't afraid to not take itself seriously from time to time"

I mean, I always go on about how I like silly but than I go and make things really serious in my own campaign. And political. The hell.

Oh and just thought too, despite loving the concept on paper, I think I would have issues trying to re-roll characters or play multiple characters at a time during a game. I get fixated on one character and don't like switching against my will, it kinda makes me go a little nuts in the head. I don't know why. I love progression. Especially being able to develop my own player-character more to see other sides of them.
    Vasani
    Vasani
    Pirate Queen

Post  Vasani Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:52 am

I, personally, am not opposed to death and re-rolling. I have a few characters, most of them undeveloped. But as long as the death is just or at least done with style, I'll probably be fine with it.

Probably.
    Dungeon Master Orange
    Dungeon Master Orange
    Admin

Post  Dungeon Master Orange Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:58 am

D&D needs more competitions and in-game tournaments.

And charismatic villains.

And probably more lore about devils and other "monster" races. Though more demons would be fun too.
    Dungeon Master Orange
    Dungeon Master Orange
    Admin

Post  Dungeon Master Orange Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:23 am

I guess, just movies and games and shows I like..

I like Earthbound and Mother 3 a lot. They are whimsical, and almost insane in how silly they are, but good god they get really dark, really fast. REALLY dark. Your-wife-and-kid-were-torn-apart-by-monsters dark. I like Metroid games for their desolation and atmosphere; same goes for Shadow of Colossus. Both of those also feature a lot of really satisfying exploration. I love Saints Row for it's over-the-top attitudes, that is so ridiculous but than says it with a straight face; I like Just Cause 2 and Brutal Legend for those same reasons. I love Mega Man for it's fast paced music and setting; I love machinery. I love Bioshock for it's intrigue, for it's deep narrative and much deeper back-story and undertones, that there is so much more under the surface that the plot feels like it just scratches the top of it, and it leaves the player to figure out the rest; Assassin's Creed, Dishonored, Portal and Half-Life fall under this as well, as well as with the atmosphere. I love Mass Effect and Deus Ex for their character interaction, as well as character development.

I wish I could narrow this list down, but there are too many games I love for many reasons.

As far as TV Shows, Movies, and the like..

I really, really like Cowboy Bebop and Trigun, for a lot of the reasons I have talked about before. Characters with mundane surfaces and goals, but much, much deeper story that sits under the surface that ultimately drives the entire show; you just don't realize it right away. You just don't realize it right away is the key to it all. I also like Last Exile, and did like .//Hack Sign, but .. looking back, that was a little moody for me. Oh, and I actually liked Lost. And Avatar. And the little I watched of Doctor Who.

As far as movies.. Miyazaki ones stand out above the rest for me. They are like disney movies that get way deeper and grittier, and aren't always feel-good; but they get really imaginative. Pixar movies are good but yeah, not much to say there. My god I loved the Speed Racer movie.

Phedre nicEssus
    Phedre nicEssus
    Group Physician

Post  Phedre nicEssus Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:10 am

What movies do you like? LotR, Hobbit, Star Wars, Star Trek, Matrix, Equilibrium, Constantine, Legion, Knight's Tale, Galaxy Quest, Pleasantville, Serenity, Stardust, Hook, Batman Begins, Ocean's Eleven, umm...I sure I have more but this is what springs to mind.

What about TV shows? Star Trek: TNG, Criminal Minds, Doctor Who, Supernatural, Charmed, Firefly, Numb3rs, X-Files,

Which are your favorite bands or songs? Top of the list is Blackmore's Night ("Village Lantern" "Fires at Midnight" "World of Stone" "25 Years" "Cartouche" "Village on the Sand") Followed by The High Kings ("Black Velvet Band" "Marie's Wedding" "Little Beggarman" "Step it out Mary" "Phil the Fluter's Ball" "As I Roved Out" "The Rising of the Moon") Celtic Thunder ("Raggle Taggle Gypsy" "That's A Woman") Dropkick Murphys ("Cadence to Arms" "(F)lannigan's Ball" "Johnny I Hardly Knew Ya") Nightwish ("Seven Days to the Wolves") Evanescene ("Going Under" "Imaginary") Adele ("Rolling in the Deep" "Set Fire to the Rain") Lady Gaga ("Bad Romance") Death Cab for Cutie ("I Will Follow You Into The Dark" "Someday You Will Be Loved") And classic rock like Kansas, Styx, Queen, Rush. Oh and Comedy bands like Weird Al Yankovic, Paul and Storm, Jonathon Coulton, The Great Lukeski, They Might Be Giants, The Guild, Worm Quartet, Power Salad, FUMP, and Dr. Demento.

What genres do you read? Mostly light fantasy (Anne McCaffrey, Mercedes Lackey) Paranormal/Supernatural (Patricia Briggs) but I've just started to venture into mystery (I picked up a couple Agatha Christie novels this past weekend).

What places of the world call to you? Ireland, New Zealand, Alaska, Canada.

What religions or mythologies? Eras? Celtic, Norse, Roman/Greek, Egyptian. I have a vague interest in Aztec and Mayan as well.

Any DnD or other fantasy-type races or concepts that you like? I like classic D&D. Elves, dwarves, humans, orc, half breeds and maybe halfling. Everything else is unnecessary.

What sort of artwork? I actually have a favorite (living) artist. Jennifer Hewitson. As for other artists, I've always had a weakness for Van Gogh since 4th grade. At that time it was just because we have similar names. When I studied up on him I fell in love with Starry Night and the Scream.  

That's it for now. I'll edit as I come up with more ideas.
    Leopold von Vechtan
    Leopold von Vechtan
    Speed Racer

Post  Leopold von Vechtan Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:27 am

Testing. Testing. I JUST STOLE JASPER'S ACCOUNT FOR THIS

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:44 pm