Good luck!


    Rescue at Rivenroar

    Share
    avatar
    Limbo von Vechtan

    Posts : 52
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2013-10-07

    Rescue at Rivenroar

    Post  Limbo von Vechtan on Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:24 pm

    By chance or by design, you find yourselves together in the town of Brindol. And when in a new town, together with new faces, what better destination is there than a local bar? Today's tavern is the Antler and Thistle.

    Having just arrived, you don't know much about Brindol, but you can tell it is at least a mildly prosperous town. It also seems to have some sort of history of war. Or you can safely assume so, anyway: you passed the "Hall of Great Valor", a museum, on your beeline to the bar.

    So, here you sit. Feel free to introduce yourself or otherwise mingle with your newfound party members and fellow bar patrons. Or don't...it's not like you'll have to fight alongside them or anything like that, right?



    A note on any Red Talon Watch members:
    You were, unfortunately, unable to bring your bird companions with you on your excursion for now. Tabitha--now High Druid of Red Terrace--strongly advised against it. She warned you, with a tired grin, that your ravens would be uncharacteristically rowdy if taken away from their roost. And you believed her--Red Terrace had been even noisier than usual. "It's about that time for them." Ah.
    avatar
    Vasani
    Pirate Queen

    Posts : 371
    Reputation : 6
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Re: Rescue at Rivenroar

    Post  Vasani on Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:03 pm

    Vasani Shepard walks into the bar and instantly feels at ease. No matter the town there's always something familiar about a bar. She walks up to the barkeep and orders herself a drink as she scopes the room for anyone potentially interesting.

    "So what's going on in your fair town, Mr. Barkeep?"




    +4 to perception to just scope out the bar??


    _________________
    avatar
    Dungeon Master Orange
    Admin

    Posts : 4880
    Reputation : 3
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Re: Rescue at Rivenroar

    Post  Dungeon Master Orange on Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:03 pm

    The member 'Vasani Shepard' has done the following action : Roll them dice!

    'd20' :


    _________________
    avatar
    Limbo von Vechtan

    Posts : 52
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2013-10-07

    Re: Rescue at Rivenroar

    Post  Limbo von Vechtan on Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:39 pm

    The bar--like the rest of the city--is occupied by a fairly even split of dwarves, half-elves, and humans. Other than your party, there's the barkeep and seven other patrons scattered about the room. Three of the men, with mostly-empty glasses and the look of regulars, are focused on their card game in the back corner. Apart from their banter, the bar is about as peaceful as you could expect a bar to be.

    The barkeep finishes topping off another customer before reaching for a clean glass. "New adventurers in town then, are you?" Not waiting for the answer, he sets the full glass down in front of you then leans back as he answers your question. "Lately? Not much. But we're thankful enough for it. It's been a good while since, but this town had a history with goblins. Some warlord or king or other from the western continent decided he wanted a foothold here and sent over a big batch of his cronies. We won the war--probably before your time I'd think--but a lot of the scars are still around. We haven't had any real trouble since, but there are always rumors floating about. Had another wave of 'em lately, in fact." He turns his back to you to begin tending the rest of the bar, but almost immediately turns back. "Ah! Two silver a pitcher, by the way, miss."
    avatar
    Leopold von Vechtan
    Speed Racer

    Posts : 287
    Reputation : 2
    Join date : 2012-05-23

    Re: Rescue at Rivenroar

    Post  Leopold von Vechtan on Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:52 pm

    Cameron steps in to the bar, scanning the room for Vasani. He thinks to himself, we step in to town and immediately that girl heads for a bar. This feels like the setup for a poor joke.. a priest and a pirate.. I'm sure I have heard that one before. Still, probably the best place to get the local color.

    Cameron walks over to the bar beside Vasani and quietly nods to the barkeep. He thinks for a moment about how Tabitha is doing at the Druid Convention she had to attend, and how he was pushed to go with Vasani for a bit so he didn't sulk at home waiting for her to return; He likes adventure, just feels a bit out of place when she isn't around. He looks to the adventurers either side of him, and figures he should say something. "Uh, hi. Good afternoon." He places a couple silver down for the barkeep and takes a sip of the bitter ale, trying not to make too much of a face. He turns back to the adventurers, "Name's Cameron. Uh, Cameron del'Mar."


    _________________
    avatar
    Vasani
    Pirate Queen

    Posts : 371
    Reputation : 6
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Re: Rescue at Rivenroar

    Post  Vasani on Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:02 pm

    Vasani makes a face and pushes two silver towards the barkeep as Cameron walks up. She gives him a quick grin and eyes the locals playing cards in the corner of the room with obvious interest.

    "I don't suppose we have time to play a game, captain?"

    She stands up with a stretch, not waiting for an answer, and heads over to the game.

    "What are you fine, upstanding gentlemen playing?"


    _________________

    Metah Fore
    Master of Gobhorse

    Posts : 181
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2012-03-24
    Age : 29

    Re: Rescue at Rivenroar

    Post  Metah Fore on Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:25 pm

    As Vasani mentions a game there is suddenly a shout from the back of the bar. The group is suddenly surrounded by about twelve... creatures.... ranging from dwarfs to dragonborn, all in black clothing with ridiculous black wigs, and pointy sunglasses but perhaps the strangest portion of their outfits would be the adorable sets of fake pixie wings that every gang member wore.  A voice echoes from the group.

    "Yo! The boss would like to participate in this here establishments game like thing...yah.."

    From the back the largest creature approaches, incredibly imposing, he walks to the counter and sets a large margarita glass on the table, and returns to the back of the crowd.  

    A voice echoes from the glass, you notice a tiny pixie lounging on a slice of lime like it is a pool floatie.

    "So what are the stakes here folks? Gold? Favors? Fingers?"


    _________________
    avatar
    Phedre nicEssus
    Group Physician

    Posts : 104
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2012-06-11
    Age : 36

    Re: Rescue at Rivenroar

    Post  Phedre nicEssus on Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:23 am

    Miss Chance Gardyloo sat at the back of the bar and held her head in her hands moaning to herself "How did I get sucked into doing this again?" She brings her head up suddenly as a thought occurs to her. "How DID I get sucked into doing this again?" She thinks very hard for a moment then shrugged her shoulders. It happened because the plot requires it to.

    "Quit whining and whinging. You're a mage, adventures happen to mages. Ever hear a story about a mage who sat at home growing carrots, grew old and died? No? Because it doesn't happen. Mages get stories, stories get adventure." Nightsoil hopped from under her hat to her shoulder. "Now hold up that cup a bit, I'm parched."

    With a sigh she held up her mug of beer. As the toad lapped at the edge she noticed a dwarf at the table across from her staring with wide eyes at the two of them. "What?" she said defensively. "Did your frog just talk?" he said astonished. "Don't be ridiculous. Frogs can't talk."

    Nightsoil looked him right in the eye and very clearly said "Ribbit". The dwarf looked at her, then at him, and back at her. "He just said 'Ribbit'!" Very slowly, as if talking to an addle minded child, she said "He's a frog. Frogs say ribbit." "No, frogs ribbit. They don't say 'Ribbit'." She and Nightsoil just stared at him till the silence grew awkward. Finally the dwarf muttered something about strong drink and wandered off.

    After a moment she said softly to her shoulder, "You know, frogs can't actually talk."
    "Good thing I'm a toad then."
    avatar
    Leopold von Vechtan
    Speed Racer

    Posts : 287
    Reputation : 2
    Join date : 2012-05-23

    Re: Rescue at Rivenroar

    Post  Leopold von Vechtan on Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:46 am

    Cameron stares around the room. God, I am not sure about this place. Pixies? Was that woman talking to her toad? The air here feels tense. Even the Bearded Mead never got this strange..

    He walks up and taps Vasani on the shoulder. "Hey," he whispers, "You think we should get out of here? A feel like a fight is gonna break out or something."


    _________________

    Clerical Error

    Posts : 348
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2013-10-16

    Re: Rescue at Rivenroar

    Post  Clerical Error on Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:49 am

    At first Rennyr seems irritated that someone has dared to interrupt the conversation she interrupted in the first place. However, after spotting Cameron she grins broadly then flies over and lands on his nose.

    "Hey blue-eyes, have you ever joined the inch-tall club?"
    avatar
    Vasani
    Pirate Queen

    Posts : 371
    Reputation : 6
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Re: Rescue at Rivenroar

    Post  Vasani on Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:56 am

    "A fight?" Vasani's eyes widen and a smile lights up her face. "You really think so?"

    Out of the corner of her eye she sees something float up to Cameron's face.


    "Hey blue-eyes, have you ever joined the inch-tall club?"

    Vasani can barely contain the laughter that's bubbling up inside her as she watches Cameron's face closely for his reaction. She whispers under her breath, "Oh I can't wait to tell Tabby about this."


    _________________
    avatar
    Leopold von Vechtan
    Speed Racer

    Posts : 287
    Reputation : 2
    Join date : 2012-05-23

    Re: Rescue at Rivenroar

    Post  Leopold von Vechtan on Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:59 am

    Rennyr Viceroy wrote:At first Rennyr seems irritated that someone has dared to interrupt the conversation she interrupted in the first place. However, after spotting Cameron she grins broadly then flies over and lands on his nose.

    "Hey blue-eyes, have you ever joined the inch-tall club?"
    Cameron nearly swatted the mosquito on his nose out of instinct until he realized the mosquito was in fact a woman. "Whoa! Um. Hello, wow hi. Didn't see you there. Uh. Sorry, very sorry, I am actually married already! Uh. Very sorry."


    _________________

    Clerical Error

    Posts : 348
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2013-10-16

    Re: Rescue at Rivenroar

    Post  Clerical Error on Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:06 am

    Cameron del'Mar wrote:
    Rennyr Viceroy wrote:At first Rennyr seems irritated that someone has dared to interrupt the conversation she interrupted in the first place. However, after spotting Cameron she grins broadly then flies over and lands on his nose.

    "Hey blue-eyes, have you ever joined the inch-tall club?"
    Cameron nearly swatted the mosquito on his nose out of instinct until he realized the mosquito was in fact a woman. "Whoa! Um. Hello, wow hi. Didn't see you there. Uh. Sorry, very sorry, I am actually married already! Uh. Very sorry."

    Rennyr makes a point of pouting alluringly.

    "Awe, are you sure? Once you go tiny you'll never be whiney.... You get it? You won't whine cause we'll do lots of dirty stuff!" She shakes her head and floats away from his nose.

    "Anywho.... My name is Rennyr, pleased to make your acquaintance! MONDO! SHAKE THE MAN'S HAND!" The giant that had set her down in the glass earlier walks up and offers his hand to Cameron.
    avatar
    Leopold von Vechtan
    Speed Racer

    Posts : 287
    Reputation : 2
    Join date : 2012-05-23

    Re: Rescue at Rivenroar

    Post  Leopold von Vechtan on Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:24 am

    Rennyr Viceroy wrote:
    Cameron del'Mar wrote:
    Rennyr Viceroy wrote:At first Rennyr seems irritated that someone has dared to interrupt the conversation she interrupted in the first place. However, after spotting Cameron she grins broadly then flies over and lands on his nose.

    "Hey blue-eyes, have you ever joined the inch-tall club?"
    Cameron nearly swatted the mosquito on his nose out of instinct until he realized the mosquito was in fact a woman. "Whoa! Um. Hello, wow hi. Didn't see you there. Uh. Sorry, very sorry, I am actually married already! Uh. Very sorry."
    Rennyr makes a point of pouting alluringly.

    "Awe, are you sure? Once you go tiny you'll never be whiney.... You get it? You won't whine cause we'll do lots of dirty stuff!" She shakes her head and floats away from his nose.

    "Anywho.... My name is Rennyr, pleased to make your acquaintance! MONDO! SHAKE THE MAN'S HAND!"  The giant that had set her down in the glass earlier walks up and offers his hand to Cameron.
    "Good afternoon there, uh, Mondo! How.. do you do?" Cameron stares up at Mondo. Mondo is a pretty cool guy. He looks back at the pixie lounging on the lime slice, and continues, "It's good to meet you too.. Rennyr, was it? You seem to have quite the group of colorful individuals with you."


    _________________

    Clerical Error

    Posts : 348
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2013-10-16

    Re: Rescue at Rivenroar

    Post  Clerical Error on Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:28 am

    Cameron del'Mar wrote: "Good afternoon there, uh, Mondo! How.. do you do?" Cameron stares up at Mondo. Mondo is a pretty cool guy. He looks back at the pixie lounging on the lime slice, and continues, "It's good to meet you too.. Rennyr, was it? You seem to have quite the group of colorful individuals with you."
    Pausing to pull out a tiny but very long straw, Rennyr takes a drink.

    "Why thank you, I consider myself a collector of interesting persons with interesting... talents. We accept all kinds here. Whose your friend?"
    avatar
    Vasani
    Pirate Queen

    Posts : 371
    Reputation : 6
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Re: Rescue at Rivenroar

    Post  Vasani on Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:01 am

    "I am Vasani, captain of The Python. A pleasure to make your acquaintance."

    Vasani gives the pixie a little half bow before extending her hand to Mondo. She stares into his eyes to see how long until he looks away. Record is 13 seconds. Set by a drunkard that she met in Haskill. She's pretty sure he was blind, at least in one eye, but let the record stand regardless.


    _________________

    Clerical Error

    Posts : 348
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2013-10-16

    Re: Rescue at Rivenroar

    Post  Clerical Error on Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:07 am

    Mondo stares back for at least 20 seconds before Rennyr shouts.

    "MONDO! DURING A STARING CONTEST YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO TAKE YOUR SUNGLASSES OFF! It is a pleasure to meet you as well Ms. Vasani. Tell me, is your ship a pirate ship? I've always had a soft spot for pirates...."
    avatar
    Vasani
    Pirate Queen

    Posts : 371
    Reputation : 6
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Re: Rescue at Rivenroar

    Post  Vasani on Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:15 am

    New record! She gives Mondo another look, this time with a bit more respect in her eyes. Not many people could stare into her absurdly colored eyes for very long without getting uncomfortable. Another mark of otherness from her dear old dad.

    "It is indeed a pirate ship. I have a good number at my command in fact. Each of them with many soft spots of their own. And what is it that you do, if I may ask, Ms. Rennyr?"


    _________________

    Clerical Error

    Posts : 348
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2013-10-16

    Re: Rescue at Rivenroar

    Post  Clerical Error on Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:21 pm

    "I suppose you could say I am in a similar, more land based line of work..."

    Suddenly one of the less intelligent looking members of the pixies group shouts: "Yeah the boss here is the head of the yaku-"

    His sentence it cut short, partially because of Rennyr's glare and mostly because of the mug colliding with his face deftly thrown by Mondo.

    "As I was saying, I have my fingers in many different pots, although mostly we are all about having fun, and being thoroughly bad-ass."

    A cheer rises from the black wing-clad group and everyone takes a drink.
    avatar
    Chance Gardyloo

    Posts : 13
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2013-10-16

    Re: Rescue at Rivenroar

    Post  Chance Gardyloo on Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:48 pm

    Chance tried to sink down into her chair and not be noticed. It was happening again. Any moment an adventure was gonna start. Someone would saunter up to her table and inquire if she was available for a small task. Maybe the big bloke at the bar in the uniform and disreputable looking friend. And she'd say yes because she needs the money and apparently that's what mages do. Then the small task would blow up into this huge quest. There would be some trapped elven princess, or evil necromancer, or *shudder* both. The fate of the world will be in the hands of a few adventurers. There will be darkness, and danger, and fire, and death. Chance thought she was going to be sick.

    Camron made eye contact with her and started to saunter up to her table. "Hi, I can't help but notice..."

    The sound of her head hitting her table made a distressingly loud THUD.

    avatar
    Limbo von Vechtan

    Posts : 52
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2013-10-07

    Re: Rescue at Rivenroar

    Post  Limbo von Vechtan on Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:26 pm

    Chance Gardyloo wrote:Someone would saunter up to her table and inquire if she was available for a small task.
    What? Of course not! No one said anything about...adventure!

    Yet.

    The ominous thud of Chance's head mingles with a loud, jarring crack! from the front door of the bar. The door flies off its hinges and lands amid the nearest tables, announcing the violent entrance of four very ugly, very violent-looking hobgoblins.


    "For Sinruth! For the Hand!"

    Two of the patrons at the front of the bar, already thoroughly distracted by the unusual entrance of the even more unusual pixie, are immediately skewered by the marauders.

    THUD.

    So much for that card game. Damn them. Roll for initiative!


    Alright! Now for the trickier part I guess. Combat. I know we've all got different schedules (or in my case, no schedule at all) and even different time zones for Beth, so I think, if I can make it work, I won't rely on live Roll20 games for combat. But, the combat purely on the forum was a little clunky too. What I want to try, to see if it's too much work, is use the map system from Roll20, but on a take-your-turn-when-you-can basis. You can maybe make a little flavor post (maybe even your rolls?) here, on the forum, but move your token and see everyone's positions on the Roll20 map in 'real-time'. It's two separate windows, but I'm trying to cut out the extra step of having to break into Paint or Photoshop to draw your action on the map that may not even be the most up-to-date. I still want to wait for people to do their turns on initiative before going on to the next person, so it will likely draw out the pacing a lot, but hopefully it'll still streamline things a bit. There's going to be some trial and error, I'm sure, as I find out what works. Also, I may be slow at first as I organize myself as a DM, so bear with me a bit. I'll be slow, but I want to try to be steady.

    That, uh...being said...I haven't finished the Roll20 map yet. The premade campaign decided to only give me low-res maps with the DM notes still on it, so I'm trying to recreate it as accurately as I can because I'm anal like that. I will be sure to post the link and let you guys know in group chat once I get it settled.

    Clerical Error

    Posts : 348
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2013-10-16

    Re: Rescue at Rivenroar

    Post  Clerical Error on Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:19 pm

    "Hey you nit-wits! This bar is in Feenstaub territory! No one causes a ruckus in one of our bars without my express written consent, which must be requested at least two weeks in advance! Anyways! PREPARE TO DIE!!!!!!!!"



    Initiative +0
    avatar
    Dungeon Master Orange
    Admin

    Posts : 4880
    Reputation : 3
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Re: Rescue at Rivenroar

    Post  Dungeon Master Orange on Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:19 pm

    The member 'Rennyr Viceroy' has done the following action : Roll them dice!

    'd20' :
    avatar
    Vasani
    Pirate Queen

    Posts : 371
    Reputation : 6
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Re: Rescue at Rivenroar

    Post  Vasani on Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:33 pm

    Vasani redirects her attention to the hooligans at the door, or what used to be the door. Her very being practically hums with excitement.

    "Look Cameron! You were right! There is a fight!" She giggles and draws her swords as she starts to head for the nearest hobogoblin.




    +5 to Initiative!


    _________________
    avatar
    Dungeon Master Orange
    Admin

    Posts : 4880
    Reputation : 3
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Re: Rescue at Rivenroar

    Post  Dungeon Master Orange on Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:33 pm

    The member 'Vasani Shepard' has done the following action : Roll them dice!

    'd20' :


    _________________

    Sponsored content

    Re: Rescue at Rivenroar

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:56 pm