Spirit-Chaser Strategy Guide

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Good luck!

5 posters

Preliminary Thoughts

Limbo von Vechtan
    Limbo von Vechtan

Preliminary Thoughts Empty Preliminary Thoughts

Post  Limbo von Vechtan Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:31 pm

What's this?? A special DM account?? A post in the "Melissa's Campaign" board??? Yep. Tim has continued pestering me and I've started to formulate some ideas.

After reading everyone's responses on my other post, it seemed like something devilish (ha! ha!) would be great. I even went through the compendium and started to formulate a villain(ess!). But...I just don't know that I have it in me to completely construct a campaign ground up the way Tim does. There are too many factors and variables and I'd just panic and freeze and never start the campaign because I didn't have every little thing understood and memorized. I get overwhelmed easily.

Anyway, so, that idea was a little too risky. Right now I'm instead looking at a fully premade campaign--levels 1 through 30 (that's all of em!)--that Tim kept shoving me towards. Scales of War. All I know that at least the climax is very much about dragons. I like dragons. But, from what I understand, it also has a LOT of variety in the adventures leading up to that, which allows a good amount room for me to tweak the story or individual events if I'm feeling brave (which I'm not sure I am yet). No guarantees still (I'm probably going to always say that), but I'm going through the process of reading the whole thing front to back before I decide.

If ya'll got any ideas on who you're going to play for this, I'd love to hear! It may even help me get along a bit. Perhaps even stick a bio in the handy bio thread?

Here are a few things worth noting:

• Most of what Tim has established in his games is going to carry over to mine. Characters, regions, time period, technology, and so on is going to be kept the same unless otherwise requested. As for now, I don't have a specific time slot where it'll take place, like if it is before or after the game Tim was just running...but due to some character development issues it will likely be after with little to no reference to what *would* have happened so as to avoid spoiling the plot if we can ever get Timmy to go back to it.
    • You WILL start at level 1, but unlike the start of the Red Terrace campaign, there will be no restrictions on race or class. Keep in mind, however, that one of the things I would like to try doing is have NPCs react differently depending on player's race, appearance, demeanor, and the the NPC's own biases. I don't know if this will come across much if I go through with the premade campaign, but it was something that seemed interesting when I first starting thinking about DMing, especially as a way to encourage travel and distinguish regions by way of their perceptions of the player group. Like...the stereotypical wizard--mage robes, tome hanging from a belt, so on--might get some dirty looks and have a harder time picking up gossip in an anti-magic town, but be welcomed as a fellow scholar and get a discount in a mystical university town.
    • Though I hesitate to say it will be the focus, there will certainly be combat, as a bit of a contrast to the games the rest of you have formulated. From what I understood, avoiding combat was due to not wanting to actually DM fights as opposed to an aversion to the turn-based combat itself. If this is wrong and you really don't like the mechanics of fighting in DnD, please let me know!! The last thing I want to do is make a campaign no one actually likes playing. I don't know how good I'll be running combat, but I like to think I can manage it, especially as I get more comfortable with this whole DM concept.
    • Tim seemed to think this was a given, but I want to put it out there anyway. Mostly just at the very start, I may take some liberties with your character to give them a bit more grounding in the campaign. I promise to try to run these types of things by you beforehand. I'm just weird and like being able to answer questions like "Why are they invested in doing this?" or "Why are these people in a group together?" It's not necessary--our first DnD romp, which I refer to as The Zieffar Campaign, really had none of those answers--but I think it would help me get motivated to start and feel less panicky.

I think those are the big things...though worst case, I'll just come back and edit if I forgot something. Sorry for another big fat block of text...but hopefully this was all worth a big fat block of text. In any case, let me know what you think, any questions you have, or just give me some feedback on the stuff I've spewed here!

Last edited by DM Melly on Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:20 pm; edited 3 times in total
    Vasani
    Vasani
    Pirate Queen

Preliminary Thoughts Empty Re: Preliminary Thoughts

Post  Vasani Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:58 pm

My initial thought for a character would be Vasani, but now I'm thinking I may take this opportunity to flesh out one of my other characters.

In their most basic forms, it would either be a Shadar Kai bounty hunter (probably ranger) or a magicy person (so specific!). Or Vasani.

Once I get a better grip on who I'd be, I'll go post a bio in the subforum!

Also, yay dragons!

Preliminary Thoughts This-class-is-boring
    Leopold von Vechtan
    Leopold von Vechtan
    Speed Racer

Post  Leopold von Vechtan Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:56 pm

I..

I change between characters a lot. A whole lot.

But otherwise, I think (if given the okay), I want to play as Cameron, but a slightly older version, as if my entire arc wrapped up and it is post those events. (Slight changes to look and class and outfit).

Basically, it would be a priest / cleric Cameron.

I guess i'll post in the subforum myself once I get a drawing of him.
    Phedre nicEssus
    Phedre nicEssus
    Group Physician

Post  Phedre nicEssus Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:52 am

I don't know who I'll be yet. Either Eliza Moonshine, a bard of a very happy and good nature that perhaps partakes a bit too much in smoked Peaceblossom. Or an as-of-yet unnamed magician that would be best described by this quote:

Terry Pratchett wrote:...possesses a survival instinct that far outweighs [her] spellcasting, and is such a coward that (if Einstein is right) [s]he's coming back from the other direction as a hero.
    And maybe just for fun
    Terry Pratchett wrote: Guaranteed to solve every minor problem by turning it into a major disaster.
    Not sure yet, stoned hippy or coward mage.
    Leopold von Vechtan
    Leopold von Vechtan
    Speed Racer

Post  Leopold von Vechtan Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:06 am

A pirate, a priest and a coward/hippy walk in to a bar.
    Metah Fore
    Master of Gobhorse

Post  Metah Fore Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:47 pm

Phedre nicEssus wrote:I don't know who I'll be yet. Either Eliza Moonshine, a bard of a very happy and good nature that perhaps partakes a bit too much in smoked Peaceblossom. Or an as-of-yet unnamed magician that would be best described by this quote:

Terry Pratchett wrote:...possesses a survival instinct that far outweighs [her] spellcasting, and is such a coward that (if Einstein is right) [s]he's coming back from the other direction as a hero.
    And maybe just for fun
    Terry Pratchett wrote: Guaranteed to solve every minor problem by turning it into a major disaster.
    Not sure yet, stoned hippy or coward mage.
    So you will be playing a lady Rincewind? HOLY CRAP CAN I BE TWOFLOWER??!?!
    Metah Fore
    Master of Gobhorse

Post  Metah Fore Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:49 pm

Also, with a dragon campaign I'd be almost tempted to play a Dragonborn. Very Happy Either that or Susan, but if it is after the campaign she'd be getting on in years.....

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 2:51 pm