Spirit-Chaser Strategy Guide

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Good luck!

+2
Vasani
Dungeon Master Orange
6 posters

The Main Campaign!

Dungeon Master Orange
    Dungeon Master Orange
    Admin

The Main Campaign! - Page 34 Empty Re: The Main Campaign!

Post  Dungeon Master Orange Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:07 am

Phedre nicEssus wrote:Birdsong floats on the breeze, a perfect counterpoint to the drone of cicadas. Another gorgeous summer day is coming to a close and children are laughing, playing at catching lightning bugs. Couples are laying on picnic blankets and watching the stars. Teenagers ride by on bikes and skateboards. The world is alive and humanity is out in force to enjoy nature.

But not all is as idyllic as it seems. In a dark, dusty corner lies the forgotten game system.

The Main Campaign! - Page 34 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQgdgRtDL3MotqK6azOQGxaT6TPHAWzzMW4gb6e2MS9SFVOuPNX&reload=on

The loyal system lies dormant and forgotten, awaiting the return of fall and cold that will force its people back indoors. Till then, it shall remain vigil.
    The Main Campaign! - Page 34 Tumblr_m6vdy9HYwQ1r3zat8
    Dungeon Master Orange
    Dungeon Master Orange
    Admin

Post  Dungeon Master Orange Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:32 am

The Main Campaign! - Page 34 Regent+Plotting
    Dungeon Master Orange
    Dungeon Master Orange
    Admin

Post  Dungeon Master Orange Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:30 pm

You rush back to the train station so that you may board the The Leviathan, hoping to leave the Dwarven city of Iz'jehern for good. The mess you left behind regarding the cursed townsfolk and the dead demon adviser is not one you want to try and explain to the authorities.

Luckily, you are back on the train and can find time to relax. With the fabled Spirit-Chaser's Strategy Guide in hand, all that is left to do is get it translated, and fight a giant immortal snake; Easy. Meadbeard seats you all around his bar and pours some drinks so he can hear all about your latest exploits.

The barmaid, Limbo, begins to fetch some plates for dinner when she lets out a gasp. The room goes silent, other than the sound of a plate shattering on the train's floor. Seated right beside you is the man in white robes, the demon who introduced himself to you as Beryl, and assisted you in acquiring the book.

Beryl, realizing now that everyone is staring at him (even Leopold from the other car), decides to break the ice.

"I, um, suppose you all have some questions for me."
    Metah Fore
    Master of Gobhorse

Post  Metah Fore Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:52 pm

Metah scurries up into the rafters of the train and then dives on top of the Demon Formerly Known as Beryl.

"Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyywhydidyoudissapearlikethat?Istherelikesomesupermagicseal?Likeamagiconenotanoceanone.Wasitthatweirdkindabuddahstatuething? How did you disappear like that? Can you teach me? I want to say mysterious things in a really deep voice and then vanish like that. "
    Tabitha Oakenfleur
    Tabitha Oakenfleur
    Harvest Witch

Post  Tabitha Oakenfleur Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:09 pm

"Ah....um....yeah...hi. Again." It wasn't the first time this Beryl had appeared like that but it didn't stop it from scaring her, just a bit. The loud crashing plate didn't help either. Or the Metah-bomb from the rafters. Not that Tabby was feeling a bit jumpy or anything. "I don't...think I know where to start. I guess....who are you? I mean, I think I get the demon part, but..."
    Phedre nicEssus
    Phedre nicEssus
    Group Physician

Post  Phedre nicEssus Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:03 am

Phedre sat back and let Tabby take over with questions for now. She didn't like magic on the best of days and today wasn't a good day. She had had it with magic in general and demons in particular.
    Vasani
    Vasani
    Pirate Queen

Post  Vasani Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:16 pm

Following the sounds of crashing plates, Vasani slinks into the dinner car and takes a seat next to Tabby, hoping her absence wasn't noticed. She has a slight grin on her face and is sporting a new black eye. Judging by the looks on everyone's faces she had missed something of import. She fixes her eyes on the newcomer with the tousled hair seated at the table with a very interested Metah on his lap.

Must have something to do with him.
    Dungeon Master Orange
    Dungeon Master Orange
    Admin

Post  Dungeon Master Orange Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:16 pm

Phedre nicEssus wrote:Phedre sat back and let Tabby take over with questions for now. She didn't like magic on the best of days and today wasn't a good day. She had had it with magic in general and demons in particular.
    Oh it's only just begun.

Metah Fore wrote:Metah scurries up into the rafters of the train and then dives on top of the Demon Formerly Known as Beryl.

"Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyywhydidyoudissapearlikethat?Istherelikesomesupermagicseal?Likeamagiconenotanoceanone.Wasitthatweirdkindabuddahstatuething? How did you disappear like that? Can you teach me? I want to say mysterious things in a really deep voice and then vanish like that. "
    "I disappeared because I had things to do; I like magical ocean seals the most; I do not know of buddah but the statue did seem quite neat; I can disappear because I am a demon and I choose to do what I want; I can't teach you to disappear but I can teach you cool things to say in a deep voice before you pretend to vanish such as 'keep your eyes on the birdie now' and you make a bird hand gesture than you vanish than hit them with the birdie hand gesture between the eyes."

Beryl takes a deep breath of air, and turns his attention to Tabitha.

Tabitha Oakenfleur wrote:"Ah....um....yeah...hi. Again." It wasn't the first time this Beryl had appeared like that but it didn't stop it from scaring her, just a bit. The loud crashing plate didn't help either. Or the Metah-bomb from the rafters. Not that Tabby was feeling a bit jumpy or anything. "I don't...think I know where to start. I guess....who are you? I mean, I think I get the demon part, but..."
    Beryl stares at Tabitha for a good awkward 12 seconds before responding. He borrows a crayon from Limbo's daughter, Lily, and a piece of paper.

The Main Campaign! - Page 34 Beryls10

I am one of three demons left to maintain balance in the natural world; the rest of the world's demons were imprisoned ages ago by dwarven druids, the very same that wrote the Spirit-Chaser's Strategy Guide. The very same that built the village you call Red Terrace and home.

I have been watching over Red Terrace, the place is very dear to me. However, 11 days ago the great serpent known as Jasper, the Untamed, sought my destruction and the destruction of the world's balance. You were there that night, you remember the damage he caused to Red Terrace. Jasper failed to kill me, and took his frustration out on your home. He ripped the Maiden's Bell out from the temple, knowing that without it the town would be doomed in a month's time. He also knows that Red Terrace's Grandfather Redwood is more than a large tree, but is a guardian against the evils of the world. Without it, chaos will return.

The abilities you demonstrated that night gave me hope that you can save Red Terrace. I watched over your group from that point on, admittedly too timid to introduce myself formally.

I watched as your party fearlessly rescued the small village from the goblins, and met the third demon in our story; the Fox, the Goblin King.

Your party met Klumn and Viviana von Vechtan, powerful magicians forced in to hiding by the Evensong Corporation. They told you about the dwarven gate-city of Iz'jehern, and of the Spirit-Chaser's Strategy Guide.

Your party met Leopold and Limbo von Vechtan, their seven children, and their close friend Meadbeard, who smuggled you in to the dwarven nation that finds itself in the middle of a national crises, closing their gates to all outside visitors.

Your party discovered that the city was under a curse, a demon's mark, a sign of a demon's presence or influence. This particular demon in Iz'jehern caused the entire population of Iz'jehern to become drunk and incomprehensible, leading to your arrest.

You met the bandits Crumnley, Etheyl and Sidca, who were also arrested unjustly. They were spooked by this strange circumstance and decided to abandon their plans to break in to the city's museum, and gave you their own plan seeing as you could no longer obtain the Spirit-Chaser's Strategy Guide through normal means.

You than met me, Beryl, who broke you out of prison by ripping your souls from your bodies to pick the locks on your own cell doors. As a group we entered the museum, found the book, and destroyed the booze demon that took the form of a royal adviser and took over the city.

You fled the city, and began heading back to Son Tanusia to return to Klumn so that he may translate Jasper's page from this book. I boarded the train. Limbo dropped a plate, I startled your party. Metah began asking me many questions, and Tabby asked me half a question. I responded, by telling you that I am a demon-- wait. I apologize, I think that I may have gone too far. Um.

Yeah.

Is there anything else."

Last edited by Dungeon Master Orange on Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Tabitha Oakenfleur
    Tabitha Oakenfleur
    Harvest Witch

Post  Tabitha Oakenfleur Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:30 pm

Tabby blinks. Half a question? What's that supposed to mean? She took a minute to digest his summary. She knew she had lots of questions...she loved all the lore and mythology of her forest home, but now that she had a true demon in front of her--more importantly, a friendly (if socially awkward) one--she wasn't sure how to handle it. Plus, that stare made her uncomfortable. Did she do something wrong or is that just...him?

"Hm...well," she thinks a moment more. "If...every demon has a mark of influence...what's yours?"
    Vasani
    Vasani
    Pirate Queen

Post  Vasani Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:46 pm

Vasani balances in her chair, tilting it back on two legs as she listens to the demon's summary. Damn, she really did miss something good.

Wait a minute...

She lets her chair fall forward with a sharp clack and stares at Beryl through narrowed eyes. "If you, that weird goblin guy, and Jasper are the supposed only demons left to retain balance, how do you explain the demon you fought in the dwarven city? Something doesn't mesh here."
    Dungeon Master Orange
    Dungeon Master Orange
    Admin

Post  Dungeon Master Orange Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:26 pm

Tabitha Oakenfleur wrote:Tabby blinks. Half a question? What's that supposed to mean? She took a minute to digest his summary. She knew she had lots of questions...she loved all the lore and mythology of her forest home, but now that she had a true demon in front of her--more importantly, a friendly (if socially awkward) one--she wasn't sure how to handle it. Plus, that stare made her uncomfortable. Did she do something wrong or is that just...him?

"Hm...well," she thinks a moment more. "If...every demon has a mark of influence...what's yours?"
    "A demon's mark can't be controlled, it is merely a natural phenomenon of their presence in the world. Sometimes it is subtle, such as the color in the world disappearing when the Untamed is nearby, or more obvious, such as the beer demon or the Goblin King, who's subordinates turn in to goblins. A demon does not choose their calling card, nor can they hide it. As for my own.. I..

I don't know."

Beryl becomes silent for a few moments. Something seems to be deeply troubling him.

"I can't remember anything, to be honest. I can't remember my past beyond a few decades ago; 97 years ago to be precise. The farthest back I can remember is waking up in the forest, delusional.. the sky was red with flashes of harsh light.. there was so much noise. For once in my life I felt.. afraid, and vulnerable. I fled.. and haven't made direct contact with the mortal world since."

Vasani Shepard wrote:Vasani balances in her chair, tilting it back on two legs as she listens to the demon's summary. Damn, she really did miss something good.

Wait a minute...

She lets her chair fall forward with a sharp clack and stares at Beryl through narrowed eyes. "If you, that weird goblin guy, and Jasper are the supposed only demons left to retain balance, how do you explain the demon you fought in the dwarven city? Something doesn't mesh here."
    "Yes, only the fox, the snake, and myself should be left free. But as we saw back in Iz'jehern, this isn't true. Somehow, demons have escaped back in to the world. I somehow suspect my disturbing amnesia may be connected to these weird events.."

"Did anyone else have any other questions? And.. Tabitha, may I see the Spirit-Chaser's Strategy Guide? I need to know if it can help me."

Tabitha Oakenfleur
    Tabitha Oakenfleur
    Harvest Witch

Post  Tabitha Oakenfleur Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:48 pm

Poor guy. Explains the awkwardness anyway. Tabitha felt there was a lot she didn't know, but she still wanted to help Beryl. He seemed to be trying to help them, anyway. She takes the Guide out of a pocket she tidied in her bag especially for it, and hands it to him.

"Those pictures back in the museum...the middle one was broken, but the second had a snake. Does that make you the crow in the third picture?"
    Dungeon Master Orange
    Dungeon Master Orange
    Admin

Post  Dungeon Master Orange Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:34 pm

Tabitha Oakenfleur wrote:Poor guy. Explains the awkwardness anyway. Tabitha felt there was a lot she didn't know, but she still wanted to help Beryl. He seemed to be trying to help them, anyway. She takes the Guide out of a pocket she tidied in her bag especially for it, and hands it to him.

"Those pictures back in the museum...the middle one was broken, but the second had a snake. Does that make you the crow in the third picture?"
    "Yes."
    Tabitha Oakenfleur
    Tabitha Oakenfleur
    Harvest Witch

Post  Tabitha Oakenfleur Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:52 pm

"....Oh."

"Uh...mhmkay."

"Uh...back in the city...you seemed to panic at that one point in the museum. What happened? Why not tell us before?"

Tabby cranes her neck to see the book. She hadn't really looked at it...plus she was just nosy and wanted to know what Beryl was looking at.
    Dungeon Master Orange
    Dungeon Master Orange
    Admin

Post  Dungeon Master Orange Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:43 pm

Tabitha Oakenfleur wrote:"....Oh."

"Uh...mhmkay."

"Uh...back in the city...you seemed to panic at that one point in the museum. What happened? Why not tell us before?"

Tabby cranes her neck to see the book. She hadn't really looked at it...plus she was just nosy and wanted to know what Beryl was looking at.
    The Main Campaign! - Page 34 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS7ZFCpNjmFUg__MN8LWflA1KD3palno54e2CMRy9JBGhf6OPOapA

You notice strange drawings, diagrams and foreign writing, but can't get a good look due to how furiously Beryl is flipping through it. He closes it to politely answer Tabitha.

"What you saw was not my panic face. That was my determined face."

"I sensed a being was stealing magical artifacts from the museum, a being that craved it's power, and sought to devour more and more. Sadly, I was not able to catch the creature. Now.. I need you to listen to me. Should you believe you have found the same creature elsewhere you must NOT confront it. You must call for me, so that I may destroy it. I do not know it's origins (should it be a beast or demon), but it is far too powerful to be handled by your group. Do I make myself clear?"
    Tabitha Oakenfleur
    Tabitha Oakenfleur
    Harvest Witch

Post  Tabitha Oakenfleur Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:09 pm

The Main Campaign! - Page 34 Scared-pug-gif

"...O-Oh. Of course..."
    Vasani
    Vasani
    Pirate Queen

Post  Vasani Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:14 pm

"Crystal clear."

The Main Campaign! - Page 34 D3D0m
    Phedre nicEssus
    Phedre nicEssus
    Group Physician

Post  Phedre nicEssus Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:32 pm

"Of course. It would be foolhardy to rush in where demons are concerned."

Phedre thought to herself: So this guy was the guardian of Red Terrace? And the proof of that is because he says so? No way was Phedre gonna take a demon on his word. And if he was the guardian of Red Terrace, then he's doing a stand up so far. Unconsciously she stroked the crow statue in her pocket. She'd been doing that more often lately. She missed her bird and the statue gave her something to play with to take her mind off her worries.

The Main Campaign! - Page 34 Tumblr_m70urhHvIM1rziwwco1_r1_500

Last edited by Phedre nicEssus on Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot my flavor text.)
    Tabitha Oakenfleur
    Tabitha Oakenfleur
    Harvest Witch

Post  Tabitha Oakenfleur Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:43 pm

Tabitha glanced back at her friends, holding her staff a little tighter for reassurance. The up-to-no-good look on Vasani's face had become all too familiar to Tabitha over the years, and Phedre was making it clear she wasn't happy about this Beryl either. Of course, Tabby couldn't blame her. She had every right to be both suspicious and angry. But then why wasn't Tabby herself standing up to Beryl? She idly drew invisible shapes with her staff as she sat, her questions for him exhausted as she tried to think everything over.

I guess part of me is just too star-struck. We saw the Untamed, and even the Goblin King, but now that a demon appears who is at least pretending to be friendly, I assume he'll be different.

She sighed. Wasn't all this...demon, spirit-y stuff supposed to be something she knew how to handle? She was beginning to feel like she missed out on way too many of Mah Kahn's How-To-Druid classes thanks to this whole ordeal. This was one hell of a crash course...

...At least Metah was having fun.

TL;DR: Tabitha is done asking questions. I just felt like dumping out some flavor cause of reasons.

Last edited by Tabitha Oakenfleur on Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added TL;DR)
    Dungeon Master Orange
    Dungeon Master Orange
    Admin

Post  Dungeon Master Orange Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:41 pm

Phedre nicEssus wrote:"Of course. It would be foolhardy to rush in where demons are concerned."

Phedre thought to herself: So this guy was the guardian of Red Terrace? And the proof of that is because he says so? No way was Phedre gonna take a demon on his word. And if he was the guardian of Red Terrace, then he's doing a stand up so far. Unconsciously she stroked the crow statue in her pocket. She'd been doing that more often lately. She missed her bird and the statue gave her something to play with to take her mind off her worries.

The Main Campaign! - Page 34 Tumblr_m70urhHvIM1rziwwco1_r1_500
    Beryl notices Phedre staring at him; he smiles back at her.
    Something the matter?
    Phedre nicEssus
    Phedre nicEssus
    Group Physician

Post  Phedre nicEssus Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:34 am

Is something wrong?

You mean other than a giant snake demon attacking our home in the middle of the night? Being under a deadline to get the Bell back? Getting our souls ripped out, thank you for that, by the way. *she shuddered at the memory and felt a bit sick* Or you mean other than having to consort with demons and consider the fact they may be allies? Nope, everything is just peachy keen.

Phedre took a deep breath to steady the rage that was eating at her born of fear. Fear of what they were doing and fear of the creature in front of her. She gripped the statue hard and gave an insincere smile to him.

The Main Campaign! - Page 34 Tumblr_m6pyr3q2611rziwwco1_500

Forgive my outburst, it has been a trying day. I think I'll go check on the birds.

She had to get ahold of herself. Demon or not, taunting it probably wasn't the wisest of courses. Something about him just put her on edge.

I forgot the birds were on the train. They are right? If not Phedre is going to her room instead.
    Dungeon Master Orange
    Dungeon Master Orange
    Admin

Post  Dungeon Master Orange Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:39 am

Phedre nicEssus wrote:Is something wrong?

You mean other than a giant snake demon attacking our home in the middle of the night? Being under a deadline to get the Bell back? Getting our souls ripped out, thank you for that, by the way. *she shuddered at the memory and felt a bit sick* Or you mean other than having to consort with demons and consider the fact they may be allies? Nope, everything is just peachy keen.

Phedre took a deep breath to steady the rage that was eating at her born of fear. Fear of what they were doing and fear of the creature in front of her. She gripped the statue hard and gave an insincere smile to him.

The Main Campaign! - Page 34 Tumblr_m6pyr3q2611rziwwco1_500

Forgive my outburst, it has been a trying day. I think I'll go check on the birds.

She had to get ahold of herself. Demon or not, taunting it probably wasn't the wisest of courses. Something about him just put her on edge.

I forgot the birds were on the train. They are right? If not Phedre is going to her room instead.
    Beryl stands silently, watching Phedre closely as she leaves the train car. His eyes do not waver, even after she is out of sight.
    Dungeon Master Orange
    Dungeon Master Orange
    Admin

Post  Dungeon Master Orange Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:36 am

The train car has become awkwardly silent now.

Limbo finally pipes up, trying to change the mood. "Um. Yes. Say, Meadbeard, remember what we talked about earlier?" She bumps him when he responds with a confused look.

"Oy! Right. Look lads n' lasses, Limbo and I were talkin' and, well. We wanted you five to have this."

Meadbeard roots through his storage behind the counter and pulls up an old looking box. He blows some of the dust off of the top, and from within he pulls five small cards, and extends them to your group.

"Within mah power as a long-time member of the Innkeeper's Guild, I would like to bypass some of tha' more.. 'proper' channels and officially deem your party as an official adventuring group. You'll notice da' cards have these wee little circles on them, around 10 of them. At any registered Innkeeper, you can accept contracts to slay baddies or fetch valuables, all in the name of loot and fame. Each contract has a certain, let's say, difficulty, that is represented by a number of stamps. When you complete a contract, you can stamp off your card. And when you fill out a card completely, you can exchange it for a new one and a chance in a raffle for a prize from the innkeeper themselves! Good fun, ya?"

Meadbeard's composure takes a turn for the serious; his eyes get a little watered up.

"An, well. Gosh. Look I'll just come out and say it. I really like you guys, you remind me of some ol' regulars of mine I used to have. I'd be honored if you came back to me for yer' contracts. I don't get many adventurer's these days anymore, not since I lost my tavern in the fire back in Son Tanusia. You kids would make this ol' dwarf proud."

The Main Campaign! - Page 34 Tumblr_m74tg3Nq2G1rziwwco1_r1_500

Cameron accepts his card, trying to keep his composure, which are currently under attack by feels. "Thanks guys, really. This means a lot. Now, if I may I'm gonna step outside for a second. For no reason."

He begins walking towards the exit, when he turns back around.

"Hey Tabby, Vasani and Metah? When you guys are done here, can you meet me outside? I think Phedre is already out there. I wanna have a little group huddle. Captain stuff, ya know? Get things up to speed."

Cameron than heads outside. You hear a slight sniffle.

Beryl sits down at Meadbeard's counter with the book.

Do you serve.. ale here? I have never had any before. I would like to see what it is all about. May I have some while I read?"
    Vasani
    Vasani
    Pirate Queen

Post  Vasani Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:07 pm

Vasani moves up to the counter to accept her card when she over hears Beryl ask for some ale. All thoughts of demons running loose disappear in an instant and a grin slowly  spreads across her face. She looks to Meadbeard and asks for an ale of her own.

The Main Campaign! - Page 34 Tumblr_mnm6izFvKZ1s6ns7wo1_250

"Hey Beryl, wanna play a game?"

Last edited by Vasani Shepard on Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Tabitha Oakenfleur
    Tabitha Oakenfleur
    Harvest Witch

Post  Tabitha Oakenfleur Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:57 pm

Vasani Shepard wrote:"Hey Beryl, wanna play a game?"
    Oh god.

Tabitha shuffles her way to Meadbeard, quickly accepting her card and giving the dwarf a big hug. He reminded her a lot of Mah Kahn, but...was...that racist? "Thanks, all of you. I don't think we'll be able to do much 'adventuring' for a bit, but maybe once all this is over--" The sound of scooting stools brings her back to reality. "I, ah, right. Captain stuff," she stutters, gesturing after the others. "Coming Cameron!" She looks to Meadbeard as she backs out of the car. "...Good luck."

The Main Campaign! - Page 34 Step-back

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 3:13 pm